Keeping a senior from dehydration is a must. It is very critical for seniors to stay dehydrated, especially now that it is summer. Hence, as their caregiver, you should provide them adequate fluids throughout the day.
As a personal care services provider, we closely monitor if the seniors under our care are well hydrated. The common symptoms that we look out for are the following:
- dry skin, dry mouth, and cracked lips
- sunken eyes
- frequent urine infection
- get tired and confused quickly
- the most common, dark urine, a small quantity
That is why, as homecare in Canada, we make sure to keep our seniors hydrated. Being hydrated can benefit them a lot. It does not only regulate the body temperature, but it also helps the body absorb more nutrients. Aside from that, keeping the body well-hydrated can:
- promote skin health
- cushions the joints
- helps convert food into energy
- promotes regular bowel movement
- protects and cushions the vital organs
But we cannot deny that encouraging seniors to drink more water is difficult. As seniors age, the more they feel that they are not thirsty. However, by letting them understand how essential drinking water is, everything will be fine. That is why home care services in Ontario, Canada follow these tips to increase the fluid intake of the elderly:
- Offer them water throughout the day and at mealtimes. Sometimes, we create a schedule for them when to drink water.
- To lessen the boredom of drinking water alone, we offer them fruit juice or tea that is good for them.
- Letting them eat juicy fruits and offering them soup during mealtimes can encourage more fluid intake.
We understand how necessary hydration is to a person’s body, more so with seniors. Some of them are having medication maintenance that can cause a toll on their hydration. Some medicines can make the body dehydrated. That is why it is significant for us to know the kind of medicines they are taking.
Favour Healthcare Staffing Inc. is your answer in looking for an excellent home care provider. Aging can be challenging for both seniors and their family members. That is why our services are here to help your seniors continue to stay healthy in the comfort of their homes.
We offer a range of care services to help your elderly loved ones live a fuller and more meaningful life. Each of the care plans that we provide for them is personalized to their own unique needs. It is our signature service that we tailor each care plan for our clients. In every care plan that we create, we got you in mind.
Learn more about our services here on our website. Check out the details on how we can help you. For us to serve you better, set an appointment with us now.